3.21.2012

Pea planting guide

I was researching some planting tips today and read an old adage that claimed 'You're a fool if you don't plant your peas before April 1st'.
Some other planting guides I read are:
  1. Plant peas on the third of three 60° days after March 10.
  2. One old timer said he plants his onions, potatoes, and peas around St. Patrick's Day.
  3. Plant peas when the red maple buds fall, forsythia is in full bloom, and/or when the large trumpet, mid-season daffodils are in full bloom and crocuses decline.
For me, this was very helpful as I am not a great vegetable gardener, nor do I claim to have any knowledge when to plant except knowing our last frost date is in May.

I'm more of a perenniel gardener, but the veggies offer a lot more value. Yet if you would see my flower garden now, you wouldn't even think I'd be that. It is so full of chickweed and weeds.

No comments: