So far, school is going great. Hopefully, we can keep the momentum going. It is great watching our two younguns learning to read and all. We're going fairly slow with actually learning to put words together as we're following Sonlight Core K program. We read LOTS of books!
Ruth Beechick quotes in her book A Home Start in Reading where a school district set up an experiment to help decide the question of should children start reading 'early' like say age 3 or 'late' like age 8 and beyond? What method really benefits the child?
This particular school had some kindergarteners receive extensive instruction in reading while the others spent the same amount of time learning science. The ones learning science melted ice, observed temperatures, played with magnets, grew plants, learned about animal life, and had books and pictures available for the children if they wanted them.
What did this school district learn? By third grade the "science" children were far ahead of the "reading" children in their reading scores simply because their vocabularies and thinkings skills were more advanced.
I was in the frame of mind of 'What if I don't teach my children everything I should be teaching them? - Am I going to miss something important''? Reading Ruth Beechick's books really encouraged me. I highly recommend them to anyone contemplating teaching your children at home.
I am no longer 'afraid'. We are simply following the Sonlight program and easing into reading while having fun doing lots of science stuff. I was planning to use CLE Learning to Read, but my husband and family encouraged me to stick with Sonlight. And we are having a blast. I'm learning new stuff most every day!!!
Today we were reading the Usborne book of Living Long Ago. You can order a copy from my sister or better yet, have a show! Except for the evolution, it's a great book. And I love the way we are using several Usborne books and the subjects tie in together. The Sonlight science is GREAT! We use lots of Usborne books. And here's $5 off with your first order of $50.
The boys loved making a coracle! You'll have to buy the book to learn more about it.
The BEST part, getting it to float!!!! That makes school fun anyday.
They loved the little man and 'fought' which one of them was him. I told them that this man 'lived long ago' but Landon continued the argument saying 'Well, then I lived long ago'.
You get the point. I should have made 2 men! *smile* But like all disagreements, they soon end! They finished the day playing with the coracle in the bathtub.
No comments:
Post a Comment